- Spark: A warforged warlock that was already pledged to infernal powers when created by House Cannith.
- Ballast: A warforged fighter who fought for Cyre in the Last War before being betrayed and left for dead by his commander.
- Alarich: A human rogue and minor Karrnathi noble who recently manifested the Mark of Passage.
- Jin: A changeling swordmage on the run from House Medani after stealing (and losing) a powerful artefact while patrolling the Mournland.
- Neal: A human artificer from House Cannith, who wishes to hide his dragonmark and identity from others
The 1000-mile voyage takes only a week in the elemental galleon, and the adventurers meet each other, the ship’s captain (Ivello d’Lyrandar), and a number of other passengers. These include Tesh Vidrad (a surly ‘thunder guide’ escorting a trio of Morgrave University students), Meena Sarkess (an administrator for the Wayfinder Foundation), a one-armed war veteran who despises warforged, a dwarven family relocating to Stormreach, and the ship’s dog.
On the sixth night, a storm hits the ship, and a bolt of lightning smashes into the elemental ring that propels it! Lightning blasts across the ship, setting fires and punching holes in the deck. The adventurers do their best to get things under control, extinguish fires, calm the passengers (and Vidrad’s rampaging lizard mount), until finally Neal spots a purple light in the storm. The out-of-control ship beaches itself in a small island harbour, next to an ancient lighthouse. Relief is short-lived, though, as snake-headed humanoids swarm from the swamps and jungles of the island, attacking with poisoned weapons and attempting to drag away the passengers.
Again, the adventurers save the day, but many of the passengers are injured, and a few killed in the crash, and still the rains keep coming. The captain asks them if they can find shelter for the survivors, perhaps in the stone building that can dimly be seen further up the beach…